Written by adam on Oct 23, 2007
Honey Bunches of Fun Trivia
Filed Under: Fun
In preparation for Jerry Seinfeld's new animated adventure, Bee Movie, Men in Aprons is proud to present Fun Facts about Honey.
- In the first centure, A.D., Apicus, who is credited with the first cookbook used honey in virtually all branches of cooking.
- Honey was Queen Elizabeth I favorite drink.
- Egyption royals were buried with pots of honey to help sweeten their transition to the afterlife.
- In Greek Mythology, it is said that cupid (Icarus) dipped his arrows into honey to fill the lover's hearts with sweetness.
- A marriage in Ancient Egypt contained a promise by the groom to deliver 12 jars of honey to his bride every year in exchange for her hand in marriage.
- Honeybees are one of science's great mysteries because they have remained unchanged for nearly 20 million years, even the world has evolved around them.
- Honey is currently being studied as a possible solution to cataracts and ulcers.
- It has been said that the origins of the word honeymoondate back to the times of Babylon. In order to increase the virility and fertility of the newly-weds, the father of the bride would provide his son in law with all the mead (a honey-based drink) he could drink during the first month (moon) of the marriage.
- Honey has been found to be helpful in treating severe burns when it is applied to the dressings that cover the wound because it will not stick to the wound.
- Honey contains anitoxidants and vitamins but is fat free, cholesterol free, and sodium free.
- Honey takes less energy to produce than refined sweeteners. It is bottled and sold exactly as it comes from nature
Check out the National Honey Board.
Responses to "Honey Bunches of Fun Trivia" ...
Unfortunately, U.S. honey production may be in danger due to CCD, as I learned while writing this. Creepily, masses of bees are just...vanishing. Nobody knows quite why.