CPK BBQ Chicken Pizza
My first introduction into the world of gourmet pizza was a strange concoction from a restaurant called California Pizza Kitchen in Addison, TX. All I really wanted was a nice slice of Pepperoni, but someone goaded me into getting some pizza with bbq sauce on it instead of tomato sauce. I loved it instantly. In my opinion, the use of the red onion slivers is what makes this pizza awesome.
California Pizza Kitchen has graciously shared their recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza.
BBQ Chicken Pieces:
For the Pizza:
TO MAKE THE BBQ CHICKEN:
1. In a large frying pan, cook the chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat until just cooked, 5 to 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Set aside in the refrigerator until chilled through. Once chilled, coat the chicken with 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce; set aside in the refridgerator.
TO MAKE THE PIZZA:
2. Place the pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour before cooking pizzas.
3. Use a large spoon to spread 1/4 cup BBQ sauce evenly over the surface of the prepared dough within the rim. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon smoked Gouda cheese over the sauce. Cover with ¾ cup shredded mozzarella.
4. Distribute half the chicken pieces evenly over the cheese (approximately 18 pieces). Place approximately 18 to 20 pieces of red onion over the surface. Sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup mozzarella over the top of the pizza.
5. Transfer the pizza to the oven; bake until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes. When the pizza is cooked, carefully remove it from the oven; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cilantro over the hot surface. Slice and serve.
6. Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second pizza. (The 2 pizzas may be prepared simultaneously if you are careful in placing the pizzas at opposite corners of your pizza stone.)